Sunday, September 29, 2013

Art Gallery Visit #1

Artworks that made an impact:

 
 

Tracy Emin
ONLY GOD KNOWS I'M GOOD
2009
Snow white neon, edition 2/3 plus 2 APs

This illuminated light saying of "only God knows I'm good" had a spiritual impact on me. To me it was saying what ever choices I make in life God will always be the one saying I'm alright even when everyone else turns their backs.





 
 
 
 
 
 
 

John Ahearn
Pinwheel, 1998
Plaster
This had a positive impact on me because it shows all of the different hands coming together for one common purpose. It shows a sense of community and shape of the arms into a circle shows unity since a circle is never ending. Another way to look at it is that the hands are waiting for something since their palms are open but it seem that everyone has a fair chance and no hand is farther into the circle than another.
 
Artworks I feel a connection with:
 
 







 
 

Janine Antoni
CONDUIT, 2009
digital chromogenic color print and copper sculpture with urine verdigris patina, 2/10 and 4 artist's proofs
 
I felt a connection with this photograph because as a fashion student it look very editorial to me. I looks like an advertisement for a clothing brand or a perfume. The women looks free and standing outside with a breathtaking view and hair blowing in the wind. It would make the consumer think that they would feel the same way while wearing this dress.




 







Kim Adams
Panel Van II, 2007
plastic and paint
 
I really felt a connection with the VW van because it embodies the 70's which is an era I am obsessed with. The sea foam green color and crochet pattern gives it a vintage feel with I love. It was a new and unique take on a classic car of the 70's and I honestly wish I could own this piece of art.
 
Artworks I would like to know more about:
 
Kiki Smith
Born, 2002
Bronze, edition 2/3
 
This sculpture looks like a deer giving birth to a fully grown women which is something I would like to know more about since its not something that happens in human nature. I feel like the artist is trying to suggest that as human we cant live with out animals and they are reliant on us but we are actually very reliant on them. This is definitely a piece that gets people taking and could have many different interpretations.






 Ingrid Calame
Mittal Steel No. 1 Shipping 192-208
2009
Latex and enamel paint

This large painting across the floors and ceilings in the gallery was a such a cool experience. As you walk across the silver paint revels painted numbers, footprints, and tire tracks. I had no idea as what these symbols represent but on the Albright Knox website the artist recreated the numbers that were painted and repainted on the floor of the ArcelorMittal steel plant. She tried to " combine history, physical fact, decay, memory, and personal experience." I would like to know more about the history of this steel plant and why these numbers impacted her so much that she want to create this.

 
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Great work! I also enjoyed the "Only God knows I'm Good" sign. I took a lot of pictures of it but did not end up using the piece for my blog. The second piece I also would like to understand more is the deer & the woman. There are a lot of ways to interpret this piece, but i liked how you defined it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm not the only one that wanted to know more about the "Born" sculpture. Even though I didnt end up choosing it for my project every time I've come to the art gallery I look art it an just ponder what I could even mean or rempresent and I come up empty everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the circle created by hands. Like you said it showed a community and unity to me also by the coming together at one focal point with a common need for something. Overall I enjoyed your photos and definitely would be interested in seeing the art work you got to view at this particular museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That 'Born' sculpture is very fascinating and sort of creepy. Was it life-size? Your interpretation of it is different than what I would have thought, but it is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a fashion student and I love the pieces you chose. My favorite was the Panel Van II because it reminds me of the seventies and The Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo. I also enjoyed the Pinwheel of hands because for some reason it reminds me of when I was young in the school yard and when I would have candy, everyone would have their hand out asking for a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also am very interested to know more about the Born sculpture. Its very different and a little unsettling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your choices were beautiful. The Neon light "Only god know I'm good" is so touching and spiritual, I love it!

    ReplyDelete